Wednesday, March 6, 2013

So I entered a contest. . .

I couldn't help myself and entered a remix challenge over at Project Run and Play. I thought it would be fun! Turns out it wasn't. I don't think I should try to take on challenges a day before the deadline. I thought I had another day to complete it, but nope. There was a lot of seam ripping and cut corners. *Shrugs shoulders*

The challenge was to remix Me Sew Crazy's "Spring Fever Dress".

When I saw the bib detail I thought of a tulip, which is pretty much Spring's official flower, I think. Perfect!

I applied bleach to the top edges of the tulip to lighten it. I did some hand sewn top stitching around the edges of the bodice with embroidery floss.




The top tier of the bubble skirt is in a mock-wrap, with the stem of the tulip running along it's edge.



I used the same slit opening as the original Spring Fever Dress, put fastened it with a snap at the top, creating a peek-a-boo effect.


I'm pleased with the overall design, but I wish I would have had more time to make a really polished product. I think it would be cool to try out different flowers for the bib detail.

In any case, my girly has an Easter dress! I'm almost glad I didn't have more time to finish it, she will likely stain it in 5 seconds. White isn't a terribly practical fabric to put on a toddler.






32 comments:

  1. I'm seriously in love! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! How very unique. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Awesome!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog as well.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! I love it :) the colours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tulip!!
    MammaNene from

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that tulip idea is really sweet! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I love the tulip too. Very cute and very Spring. ~Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love white on little girls. Impractical yes, but beautiful! Nice work...and I enjoyed your comments about the thrill of sewing. I feel the same way!! Seeing it come together is so exciting..that I sometimes stay up way too late finishing things...and is another reason why I will probably never become a quilter:) I like immediate results! Good luck in your sewing ventures...
    goldenbear80@yahoo.com (The Powell Family)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also guilty of staying up way too late finishing just one last thing... and then another and another. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. How adorable! I love that you made the bib into a tulip, it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so smart. I really love the idea! The whole look is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea!! You thought of it all.....all the way down to the bleached flower tips - WOW! PERFECT! Love a little one in white, and the bubbling of the skirt is just darling...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your dress! The tulip design is so creative and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Tulip detail is awesome! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! She may not realize it now, but when she sees pictures when she's older she will love that you made this special dress for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  14. Love the dress, but the little girl in it is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She's my very best creation of all. ;)

      Delete
  15. Absolutely stunning. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this so much! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very clever pink tulip detail!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Tess! Well deserved win--this dress & your model are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!! You did such a beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adore this!! So gorgeous. you do beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is darling, as is your little one. Congratulations on the win.
    I live in the Pacific Northwest near a town that grows the most tulips outside of Hollan, so Tulips definitely define Spring here---oh yeah, forgot, I also live in a small-ish Dutch town.
    Thanks for sharing your talents. Can't wait to see more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be gorgeous where you live. That's so awesome! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  22. Thanks everyone for coming over and leaving such nice comments! I'm blushing over here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. absolutely darling! you did a fantastic job super duper cute I'd love you to share it and any other posts you're proud of at my link party Rae Gun Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful detail on that dress, you really did a good job! Keep on sewing!
    Greetings from Annwes, norwegian hobby seamstress

    ReplyDelete