Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Burdastyle- Ruby Shorts #6005


These shorts mark 3 firsts for me. First time making a muslin, first time doing a double welt pocket and the first time doing a rolled cuff hem. I'm not really a shorts person, but hot and humid weather has me going for it.

tan striped high waisted shorts

I decided on Ruby #6005 from Burdastyle as there were plenty of real life examples posted on their site from members and I liked what I saw. I liked that the rise was fairly high and the button detail was pretty cute.

summer shorts pattern
Ruby #6005 Burdastyle

I decided to cut a size 42 for my muslin which was a size larger than I thought I would need. My muslin confirmed that I probably needed to go down a size and I went with a 40 for my final version. If my fabric had stretch to it, I may have tried a 38.



My first muslin! Trial and error with the double welt pockets

 I decided to forgo the back pocket flap and belt and made two pockets in back instead of one. I also added an inch or so to the length of the crotch depth. I only sewed button holes for one side and just sewed the buttons over both plackets on the other side to save on some time, since I won't need to unbutton both sides to get in and out of them.



I used the same fabric for both the muslin and the final piece which came from my mom's old stash. I was originally convinced that it was polyester, but a burn test revealed it to be cotton(?) so I decided to go ahead and use it for my finished product. It is slightly scratchy, but nothing I can't live with for now, since I'm mainly concerned with breath-ability.


Overall I'm pretty happy with the fit, but think it would look better if the back pockets were slightly larger and lowered a little. I may fix that later, but I'm calling it good for now. Also, there are also some drag lines in the back. I'm assuming it's because that region of my derriere is a little concave? not sure how I would fix this.






I tried hard to take my time with these and not rush the process. They are far from perfect, but I'm proud of my results!




Sucking in my gut!


 I think I'm most likely to wear them with a loose, un-tucked blouse. Right now I don't really have any tops to match these with. I usually choose patterns over solids for my tops to hide stains, but I think I'll have to sew up a few solids for a more versatile wardrobe.



I've already sewn another pair of shorts in a different pattern that I'll be posting shortly. Haha. They are pretty wild. Until next time. . .

6 comments:

  1. You did a great job on these & the fit is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I LOVE these! I hope you stop by and post them on My Sew & Tell saturday blog link party! - Sew Country Chick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey great job. Very impressed by the welt pocket. Welcome to sewing blogging, I've only recently started dedicated apparel sewing and blogging too! It's great fun! Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic on you - well done!

    ReplyDelete